Updated on 26th April 2023
- how and when our customers’ personal information is collected;
- the type of information;
- how we use it;
- who has access to it;
- how long we retain it;
- how long we keep it secure;
- our customers’ rights;
ABOUT JEREMY LEAF & CO.
We are independent estate agents and chartered surveyors bound by the rules of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) – the strictest in the industry. Our company number is 1075585, trading name is Jeremy Leaf & Co. and registered office is at 863 High Road, North Finchley, London, N12 8PT.
HOW AND WHEN DO WE COLLECT CUSTOMERS’ PERSONAL INFORMATION? Information is received from various sources, such as:-
- enquiries about property for sale and/or to rent;
- property valuation, survey or management requests;
- customers asking to receive our newsletters or participating in questionnaires; - registration on our website;
- interaction on social media;
We may also obtain data from other sources such as Land Registry and referral companies.
WHAT TYPE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED?
The information might consist of (but is not limited to) names, postal and email addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, demographics, financial and payment details-such as credit cards and bank accounts,
Data received from our website could include:-
internet protocol (IP) addresses;
log in information;
browser types and versions;
time zone settings;
operating systems and platforms; and
online identifier and location data.
Details from our website include pages accessed, response times and length of visits. HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We only use this data as part of our legitimate interests to comply with legal obligations under contracts and/or if consent has been received.
legitimate interests: -
- enquiries concerning our products and services;
- registering customers and opening accounts on our website;
- providing information to customers regarding similar products and services to those already enquired about or recently acquired;
- registering feedback from customers about services provided;
- notifying customers of changes to our terms and conditions if party to an existing contract,
- using information from our website to administer our site and as part of internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and statistical purposes.
- to ensure site content is presented in the most effective manner;
- to allow participation in interactive features;
- to measure or understand effectiveness of advertising and deliver the most relevant advertising;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to customers as well as other site users about properties and services; and
- to keep our site safe and secure.
- to process payments for purchases, lettings, surveys/valuations or other services; - to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions; and
- to verify customers’ identity.
- send marketing information to customers who have requested it such as properties for rent and/or sale, investments, developments, surveys/valuations, promotions, offers and/or the property market generally etc; and
- to analyse personal information collected automatically and/or create a profile of customers’ interests and preferences so the information requested is most relevant.
WHO HAS ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION?
- we never sell or rent personal information to outside marketers.
- we only share personal information with business partners if consent has been received;
- we engage with business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors and other third party service providers to complete tasks and services but only disclose personal information to deliver the service required. Our contracts require third party providers to keep information secure and otherwise use it in accordance with relevant data protection law;
- we may disclose personal information in addition to specific disclosures to comply with legal obligations to which we are subject, in order to protect vital interests or those of another natural person, or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in administrative out-of-court procedures.
HOW DO WE KEEP DATA SECURE?
We take appropriate technical and organisational precautions to secure personal information and prevent its loss, misuse or alteration. All information provided is stored on our secure servers. Where we have provided a password to customers giving access to certain parts of our website, they will be responsible for keeping this password secure.
The transmission of unencrypted (or inadequately encrypted) data over the internet is inherently insecure, and for this reason we cannot guarantee its security.
HOW LONG WILL WE RETAIN PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We regularly review retention periods for personal data bearing in mind we are legally required to hold some types of information for prescribed periods in order to fulfil statutory obligations. Outside of specific statutory obligations, we will hold personal data for as long as necessary or in accordance with retention periods set out in relevant contracts.
Some customer rights under data protection law are complex, applying only in certain circumstances and subject to certain exceptions. In the interests of keeping this policy concise, not all of the details have been included. Accordingly, customers should carefully read relevant laws and guidance from regulatory authorities for a full explanation of these rights.
Customers have the right:-
- to object to processing personal information for marketing purposes and opt out of receiving marketing data by clicking an ‘unsubscribe’ link on our emails; - to access the information we hold, change the way it is processed and request certain information about their rights;
- to request erasure of personal information, subject to certain exceptions; - to rectification or amendment of the information;
- to restrict or object to processing of personal information then we will stop doing so unless certain exceptions apply;
- to ask for personal information to be transmitted to another controller where it is held in structured, commonly used and machine-readable format unless our legal basis for processing personal information amounts to consent or performance of a contract and we process it automatically;
- to not be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing (including profiling) that produces legal effects, subject to certain exceptions; and - to withdraw consent for personal information to be held at any time where our processing is based on consent, which will not affect the lawfulness of our processing before the withdrawal.
To exercise any of these rights, customers should write to us at 863 High Road, North Finchley, London, N12 8PT, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 8446 4295. In addition, rights to object to direct marketing can be exercised by clicking the “unsubscribe” link on our emails.
If customers consider our processing of personal information infringes data protection laws, a complaint can be lodged with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) - the relevant UK supervisory authority - which is responsible for data protection in the EU member state of their habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement. More information about lodging a complaint to the ICO can be found at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
Cookies allow us to provide important site functionality so customers do not have to re-enter large amounts of information. Cookies also allow us to remember what links and pages have been viewed which helps us deliver a more personalised and efficient service.
It is possible to switch off cookies by setting browser preferences but for more information, see our cookies policy.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to websites run by other organisations. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of those organisations or the content of their websites.
Customers should read the privacy policies of these organisations before providing them with any personal information.
We keep this policy under regular review. We will post any changes on this page and may place notices on other sections of our website and/or notify customers by email.
Customers can obtain further information about data protection laws by visiting the Information Commissioner's Office website at www.ico.org.uk.
Get in touch
You are always welcome at our branch where our property experts will be happy to help you with any property enquiries